Tennis is a fantastic sport that you can play that maximizes the use of all your body’s muscles and joints. Though you may not be a rockstar on the tennis court like Roger Federer or Serena Williams, you’re still doing the same movements and putting stress on similar body parts. Thankfully, we’ve got chiropractors who can help you when something goes wrong, especially with tennis elbow pain.
When you play tennis, you require your body to make large movements with maximum effort, ultimately leading to injuries and strains if you don’t do them correctly. Most injuries are often caused by poor form and not enough dynamic stretching.
A common tennis injury that you can sustain is tennis elbow. And if you experience this, you should head to your chiropractor immediately. Before getting any treatment, it pays to know what the sports injury is and what you should. Here’s everything you need to know about tennis elbow:
What is it?
Tennis elbow affects the tendons and muscles in your forearms that extend towards your wrist and fingers, causing inflammation. This type of injury is a repetitive strain that can result in numerous symptoms and could come gradually.
What are the gradual symptoms of tennis elbow?
When you continue to play and not address your injury, you may experience the following symptoms:
- Forearm pain
- Elbow Charlotte chiropractor. The pain
- Burning sensation in the elbow
- Weakened grip strength
What worsens tennis elbow pain?
Because we use our arms quite often, you don’t necessarily have to play tennis to get tennis elbow. When you do repetitive movements that involve gripping, you can put you at risk of experiencing tennis elbow symptoms.
Some activities that worsen your injury are the following:
- Making a fist
- Gripping objects
- Shaking hands
- Raising your hand
- Straightening your wrist
Tennis elbow and chiropractors
If you’re experiencing any of these symptoms or feel slight pain when you’re doing the activities mentioned above, you most likely have a tennis elbow. When you feel any discomfort, it’s best to visit your chiropractor immediately.
How does a chiropractor help me with my tennis elbow pain?
Once you visit your chiropractor regarding your injuries, they’ll first do a thorough examination so they can properly diagnose you with a tennis elbow. After figuring out the severity of your injury, they will recommend a series of treatments that can relieve you from the pain and discomfort.
What are the different stretches for tennis elbow?
You should know that treatment doesn’t end in the clinic, and you should do the following stretches at home to boost your recovery:
- Wrist stretches: Extend your arm with your palm facing down. Pull your fingers and hand back and stretch, but stop when you’re feeling pain. Hold for 30 seconds, release, and repeat three times.
- Wrist extensions: Put your elbow at a right angle and place your hand palm-up on your table. Push your wrist to lift it off the table, and repeat 10 times.
- Grip strength exercises: With a stress ball, squeeze gently and hold for 5 seconds. Repeat this exercise ten times.
- Strengthening: To improve your wrists’ strength, you can try the “hammer” treatment. Grab a hammer and grip the handle, ensuring that your elbow is at a 90-degree angle and is resting on a table. Slowly rotate the hammer towards your body, making sure you’re turning it in a direction where your palm faces downward. Reverse the movement and repeat it 10 times.
Based on your injury’s severity, your sports chiropractor may make the necessary adjustments and modifications in these exercises that will help you recover properly.
When you’re doing any physical activity that requires an excessive range of movements in your arms, such as tennis, you want to make sure that you’re mindful of your motions to avoid any injuries.
If you do end up sustaining injuries, you should visit your chiropractor once you feel any pain or discomfort. Getting to the issue early on will decrease the chances of your injury getting worse and ultimately speed up your recovery.
Are you experiencing body pains? Visit Tebby Clinic. Here, you’ll find the best chiropractor in Charlotte, NC, that will address your body aches. We offer health insurance, chiropractic care, massage therapy, and other services. Book an appointment today!